Internet is an “eyeball economy” dominated by social messaging, photo and video streams, online shopping and complex inter-relationships of data sets.
CATCH Computer Courses for non-English Students (CESOL)
Courses are structured around the needs of the student
All courses have minimum requirements that the student must bring. Please check the course requirements page.
- Course Requirements
Solo courses also are available as a
101: The fundamentals of computer communication (3 to 5 days)
As realized and understood many times, communication is the key. Getting a firm grip on the parameters, not just the outline, is essential for fluent communication.
The devil is in the detail, but people learn fast when immersed in these practical subjects they can get hands-on experience with.
- Keyboard layout, key names and function discussion
- Window layout and operating system terminology
- Business computing with accounting, word processing and presentation skills
- Desktop publishing and the terminology of style
- The language of navigation, logic and results
- Sales language, up-style your product presentation
- Workshops factored to the students background and needs
102: Web Fundamentals (3 to 4 days)
Making a web site involves a wide range of skills. Layout, message, media and function etc. Creating websites needs skills in layout, messaging, programming, analysis, advertising, designing for humans, photography, copy, spelling and even just HTML.
- The media envelope end to end
- Behind web pages, the functions and connections
- Specific HTML construction, dynamic media
- Back end development, static and dynamic sites, frameworks
103: Office Fundamentals
202: Making a website ( 2 days)
- Bring your own material and needs - we make your website
- Responsive design
- Search Engine Optimization, Places and Social Networking
- Bring your own material and needs - we make functions
301: Static site generation using Hugo (2 to 6 days)
This course and workshop is for those who want to generate websites with the Hugo generator. This course encourages you (and we will assist you to convert your site while doing our course.)
- If you are new to web sites take 201 and 202 first to get up to speed
- Hugo is not limited to 100% static sites - the design can suit your needs
- Introduction with examples and web server
- Templates, Shortcuts and Partials
- Site conversion
- Smarter hooks and some Go language
- Up to five students and four projects
302: App Workshop (4 days)
- Bring your own material and needs - we make an application
- This course is planned in advance and has preliminary requirements
- Limited to 3 persons and two projects